Friday, October 13, 2006

Tunisian Crochet Beanie

More patterns. YAY! This is my number one favorite hat pattern. It is completely my original design. This is made in Tunisian Crochet, don't be intimated, the stitch is very simple to learn and makes a really thin dense fabric that is perfect for hats.

Tunisian Crochet Beanie
This hat has 3 rows of sc around the brim because i messed up and made it too short. But I love it with the border.















This one is completely BAS made with Lionbrand Fisherman's Wool I died myself with kool-aid.











Materials: Size J Afghan hook. Note: if you do not have a afghan hook, this project can be worked using a normal crochet hook by putting a rubber band on the end of your hook to keep the stitches from sliding off.
Worsted weight yarn
Yarn needle
Tape measure
Size: Fits adult women’s head. See variations at the bottom for tips on making the hat bigger/smaller
Gague: not important as long as the first row is 9 inches (for adult size)
Notes: Hat is worked with vertical rows.

Abbreviations: BAS basic afghan stitch

Chain 31
Row 1: Starting in the 2nd ch from hook, work a row of BAS (Forward: draw up a loop in each st across Back: yo draw through1 lp, *yarn over, draw through 2 lps repeat from * across). (31 sts)
Row 2: work a row of BAS but leave the last stitch unworked. (30sts)
Row 3: work a row of BAS but leave the last stitch unworked. (29sts)
Row 4: work a row of BAS but leave the last stitch unworked. (28sts)
Row 5: work a row of BAS but leave the last stitch unworked. (27sts)
Row 6: work a row of BAS but leave the last stitch unworked. (26sts)
Row 7: work a row of BAS but leave the last stitch unworked. (25sts)
Row 8: work a row of BAS but leave the last stitch unworked. (24sts)
Row 9: work a row of BAS but leave the last stitch unworked. (23sts)
Row 10: work a row of BAS but leave the last stitch unworked. (22sts)
Row 11: work a row of BAS but leave the last stitch unworked. (21sts)
Row 12: work a row of BAS but leave the last stitch unworked. (20sts)
Row 13: work a row of BAS but leave the last stitch unworked. (19sts)
Row 14: Forward: work till end of row13(19sts) then drop down to row 12 and draw up a loop in the unworked stitch, drop down to row 11 and draw up a loop in the unworked st, drop down to row 10 and draw up a loop in the unworked sts. Continue until you draw up loop in all unworked stitches (31 loops on hook) Back: yo draw through 1 lp, yo draw through 2 loops across.(31 sts)
Repeat rows 2-14 5 times or until hat fits around head. You can stop on any row as long as you finish with a full row of 31 as in row 14.
Finishing: whipstitch the two short sides together and then drawstring the top to close.
Oops: if your hat is too short then join yarn onto brim of hat by the seam and work sc in the round until it is long enough.

Variations

Different sizes: this pattern can very easily be adjusted for any size head. Measure their head or an existing hat from top to forehead and make however many sts to make your first row that length. Fyi: do not measure the chain, it will be longer than your first row. Then just make it until it fits around the head.

Stripes: to work horizontal stripes, do not carry yarn across more than 3 sts. If you alternate colors, it will be a lot easier to have separate balls for each stripe. I would recommend only doing stripes on the lower part of the hat because it gets weird if you continue into the decreasing part.
For help coming up with striping patterns, I use this random stripe generator.

Pictures: it is very easy to work a picture into this hat. As long as the chart you are working from is no longer than your shortest row. Don’t carry colors more than 3 sts!!!

14 Comments:

At Thursday, March 18, 2010 at 7:51:00 AM PDT, Anonymous KimberlyRae said...

very cool!!! love it!!
espcially, the first hat :)
Have you tried a larger hook? if so, what size? I've tried the tunisian 'knit' stich and it took me f o r e v e r! any suggestions?
thanks!
saw you here
http://www.ravelry.com/people/KimberlyRaeF

 
At Sunday, September 11, 2011 at 5:48:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Pattern, I've just learnt Tunisian Crochet and want to try to make more then an afghan.

I hope you dont mind if I share this pattern with a few elderly friends who knit/crochet for charity.

Leeanne
leeannejohnson@hotmail.com

 
At Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at 4:00:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Planning on trying this after the holidays, have too many projects to finish. Love tunisian!!

Phyllis
user867936@aol.com

 
At Thursday, December 26, 2013 at 1:18:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are amazing. I shared your pattern with a friend and she said, it couldn't be done. That is all I needed. I have never had so much fun figuring out a pattern. I made the first hat almost nonstop--I was hooked. I finished the second one last night. I can't wait to show my friend the "impossible" hat. (grin) Thank you so much--I make hats for charity and this is my new pattern. I can't wait to see what you create next. Susan

 
At Thursday, December 26, 2013 at 1:19:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are amazing. I shared your pattern with a friend and she said, it couldn't be done. That is all I needed. I have never had so much fun figuring out a pattern. I made the first hat almost nonstop--I was hooked. I finished the second one last night. I can't wait to show my friend the "impossible" hat. (grin) Thank you so much--I make hats for charity and this is my new pattern. I can't wait to see what you create next. Susan

 
At Saturday, February 15, 2014 at 12:02:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is indeed a terrific pattern, I've been looking for something I can make my b.f. that is not crochet-ish and kinda masculine looking. I'm using a #5 weight hunter green wool and it looks terrific. I changed the stitch count, hook etc. and no worries it all works. Best tunisian hat pattern I have seen ANYWHERE!! (sorry ravelry, you missed out) thanks so very much!

 
At Wednesday, August 6, 2014 at 5:34:00 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

This is a great pattern.... thanks. I made a hat for my daughter. I am going to post pics on G+ and add a link to your blog.

 
At Monday, August 11, 2014 at 10:55:00 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

please help. i am trying to figure out this pattern. i have gotten to where it says drop to row 12 and pull up loop in unused stitch. i dont understand :(

 
At Friday, April 7, 2017 at 12:41:00 PM PDT, Blogger diane ward said...

Hey I'm having problems with don't work the last stitch. I keep getting 30 and not sure what to do.

 
At Monday, June 12, 2017 at 4:56:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am an experienced crocheter but I could not for the life of me figure out drop down to row 12 and pull up a loop then pull up a loop in the remaining stitches .I don t have any stitches since i worked the last row I only have 1 st. Sorry but I had to give up could not figure it out . Been crocheting for 50+ yrs and I m stumped.

 
At Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 4:34:00 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Its simple. If you have crocheted for years simply remember that on each row you left a stitch uncorked. Those are the stitches that you have to pull a loop through. When you reach the top of the hat you have 31 stitches on your hoop and then simply repeat the rows 2-13. Thinks of it as decreasing then increasing in crochet.

 
At Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 9:59:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i, too, thought 'what the hell??' but because i had done some tunisian circles, i realized real quick what the instructions meant. for those wanting to do this but think they cant.....just follow the instructions. dont try to visualize just go row by row. the stitches missed are all picked up at the same time on the row indicated. you will have sections of wedges which taper off on your left hand side and then increase in width to the right. i messed up on row 14, but kept to what i was doing and it still worked out. i have done about 3 different methods of making a beanie and this by far is the quickest and easist to do. in stead of the simple stitch, next time i will use the knit stitch. also i will increase the stitches and the first 5 rows i will do a purl or knit stitch to make a brim.
nice becky....really nice. tks!

 
At Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 4:43:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an awesome pattern. I don t know how you came up with this but so glad you did. Thank you for sharing this.

 
At Wednesday, June 22, 2022 at 11:11:00 AM PDT, Anonymous BELARI said...

Nyttigt indlæg, godt gået for sjov med en blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home